Gun control is a very delicate issue with many different sides and viewpoints. On one side you have those that feel gun control is a necessary item for safety. Others feel it is unjust to take away a person 's right to have firearms. Those people also feel that gun control won 't help stop crime either. Anyway you look at it, guns have become one of the main causes of death in the United States. Firearms are first among young black men. This makes gun control an issue that must be taken care of. Gun control will not help, for it is the people that should be punished not everyone else.
The Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution states "a well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a Free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." For over a hundred years this has been interpreted to mean that everyone has the right to own a gun, but lately many people have come to believe that it means the right of the militia or military to bear arms. The Amendment is really saying two things at once. In the first part it talks about maintaining a militia to protect the freedom of the country, but that has nothing to do with the second part. The second part specifically states “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." This says the people, not the militia, so it is unconstitutional to take away a person 's right to own a firearm.
Another point often made by those for gun control is the safety of kids who find guns. The kids end up accidentally shooting themselves or others. This is true, but it has been proven that it is kids that are around guns are actually safer than those who aren 't. This way the kids know how to handle a gun safely, if they find one. They...
... middle of paper ...
... the United States, and Jamaica and Mexico have virtually prohibited gun ownership by citizens.
Doesn 't this show people something? How does gun control help? The countries that do the best are the ones who punish the criminals. The best way for the United States to fight crime is to increase the punishment of convicted criminals. Make the people not want to commit the crime for fear of the punishment they 'll receive. No matter how much gun control there is, these criminals will always be able to find a gun to commit their crimes whether it be murder, rape, robbery, or assault. There are just too many guns on the streets to be able to get rid of all the firearms. It can already be seen that the crime rate is rising, gun control is not doing its job, so there needs to be a new approach to fighting crime. Gun control is unneeded and not the answer to our problems.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... To me, guns are a completely safe item, if operated in a correct way. I believe all gun owners should have to go through a gun safety course. Gun safety courses show people how to properly operate a gun, so you are not harming anybody around you. The instructors teach the people many important ways of using a gun. They teach the person how hold a gun safely, how to turn the safety on and off the gun, why never to aim it at yourself or anyone else, and other crucial ways. As of right now, according to the law, a person wishing to conceal or open carry a pistol has to take a course on gun safety.... [tags: safety, gun course, protection]
626 words (1.8 pages)
- A man carrying two revolvers and two 9mm semi-automatic handguns calmly strode into the Dunblane Primary School. Two people quickly spotted the firearms and tried to tackle the man; he shot them and left them wounded as he continued his journey down the hall of the school. Finally, the man reached his destination: the gym, where a class a kindergartners were having P.E. In the gym, he pulled out the guns and started picking off the five-year-olds one by one. The room was splattered with blood as young children broke like porcelain dolls under the power of the gun.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Topics]
1409 words (4 pages)
- There's no denying that it's a dangerous world out there. While it's not a good idea to become paranoid, it's always a good idea to be prepared. That is why stun guns have become a popular self-defense choice for many people. Stun guns work by using electromagnetic impulses to hinder the workings of the attacker's muscles and nerves. When a stun gun hits the attacker, a sudden jolt of pain will surge through their body and the electromagnetic pulses will render the attacker paralyzed for a few moments.... [tags: self-defense choices]
1058 words (3 pages)
- Firearm safety is a controversial topic in America attributable to the several accidents that involve firearms. The main cause of an accident or death when operating a firearm is a accidental discharge. Several safety procedures and courses may prevent this from happening. Firearm safety and the education behind it is important and necessary in decreasing the several accidents and deaths in America. Guns are not toys and everyone should have proper gun safety before handling or possessing a firearm.... [tags: Firearm, Gun politics, Ammunition, Gun]
1496 words (4.3 pages)
- Every year all across the country, millions of citizens are being slaughtered with the same tools that were supposed to protect them from that. Gun safety, or lack thereof, is at the forefront of the average American’s life. People who support guns are often misinformed about their reasons, stating the Second Amendment as the reason everyone should wield a gun. Little do they realize that was written during a completely different time and the societal norms and needs were very different from what we have today.... [tags: Firearm, United States, Gun politics, Handgun]
1047 words (3 pages)
- CLIPFORT delivers the primary benefit Respondents seek from a gun lock -- the guarantee of safety from accidents. It puts it right next to me safe and secure – Influencer with kids, N It’s a safeguard made simple for a bad or worse moments waiting to happen – Influencer with kids, N This is safe AND secure – Gun Owners with kids, N It brings security and safety to the forefront for firearm users – Male Gun Owners no kids, D It would give me more peace of mind, like when I take my car in - Female Gun Owner no kids, N This makes me feel like I would have it on me, everyday carry – Female Gun Owner, N CLIPFORT also provides readiness -- the secondary benefit that is most often sacrificed in... [tags: Gun, Cannon, Firearm, Handgun]
752 words (2.1 pages)
- Gun Safety Taught In Schools Should gun safety be taught in schools. This is a question that should be considered in view of the recent events happening in our world today. Children in this generation fall into one of two categories: scared of guns or curious about them. In one of ABC’s news reports the Center Of Disease Control released a statement “While fewer kids are bringing guns to school, the rate of firearm deaths among children younger than thirteen years of age remains twenty five times that of the other top twenty five industrialized nations combined.” I am going to persuade the reader of this essay to see the three main benefits of educating American youth about g... [tags: Firearm, National Rifle Association, Gun politics]
1157 words (3.3 pages)
- The United State’s Constitution, the shortest written Constitution in the world, only has twenty-seven amendments, and now it is time to add another. The power of a presidential line-item veto was denied to the Clinton Administration in 1998, but with this last Congress being the least productive Congress ever, it is time to re-think the power distribution in the legislative process. In Congress, on average, only 10% of the bills proposed make their way through, and ever reach the President’s desk.... [tags: Pro Line-item Veto]
3295 words (9.4 pages)
- If you have ever picked up a handgun whether it ranges from a real gun to even a water gun, you know of how simple it is to use and or operate it within a matter of minutes. You simply enough pick it up, aim it, and squeeze the trigger. The gun does all the rest. The trigger pushes against the sear and the disconnector, this releases the hammer which hits the firing pin that expels the bullet from the cartridge. From a technical viewpoint, this process is almost child 's play. Therein lies the problem.... [tags: Firearm, Gun, Handgun, Firearms]
1222 words (3.5 pages)
- Wearing Student ID Cards is Not Necessary for Safety "Stop right there, young lady!" echoed through the empty hall of White Knoll High School. I broke my fast stride and turned around slowly, slightly breathless from my power-walking. When I saw Mr. Johnston striding towards me with a pen in one hand and a pad in the other, I suddenly realized what else I had forgotten that morning. Before I could reach into my book-bag pocket for the ID I had yet to put on, Mr. Johnston was beside me and slipped me the small sticker.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
1631 words (4.7 pages)