Gun Control Laws
Can we, “carefully controlling guns,” how many shootings at schools or malls will it take before we understand that people who intend to kill are not deterred by gun laws(Stossel)? Guns do not kill, people with the wrong mindset kill. There should not be any gun control laws, because criminals can get a gun no matter the law “money talks”; many of the gun massacres happen in gun-free zones; and when was the last time you saw a story on the national evening news about a citizen saving lives with a gun.
Last Stossel, a prominent news reporter, checked, murder is against the law everywhere. No one intent on murder will be stopped by the prospect of committing a lesser crime like illegal possession of a firearm (Stossel). The intellectuals and politicians who make pious declarations about controlling guns should explain how their gunless utopia is to be realized, exclaimed by Stossel.When Stossel wanted to know why the laws were not working. He went to ask some experts; “ I’m not going in the store to buy no gun, so I could care less if they had a background check or not,”said one maximum security inmate in New Jersey. He also said, “If you got money, you can get a gun (Stossel). Criminals do not go to a gun store to buy guns. This is because they cannot pass the background checks required to purchase a Firearm (Stossel). A study funded by the U.S. Department of Justice confirmed what the prisoners said, “criminals buy their guns illegally and easily”(Stossel). The study also found that what felons fear most is not the police or prison system but their fellow citizens (Stossel). One inmate told Stossel, “when you gonna rob somebody you do not know how they will react”(Stossel). According to The Wall Str...
... middle of paper ...
Cornell, Saul. “Its time for gun control proponents to reclaim the constitutional high ground”. History News Network. Web. 15 May 2006.
Elder, Larry. “Guns for self-defense”. Creators syndicate Inc. 8 Sep 2008. Web. www.OverATeacup.com.
“Gun”. “Gun violence in the African American Community”. we need to stop 7 April 2008. Web. 3 April 2014
Lott, John. “ Columbine to VA Tech to NIU Gun Free Zones or killing fields?” Investors Business Daily. 26 Feb 2008. Print.
Messerli, Joe. “Should civilian possession of handguns and other non-hunting guns be banned or severely restricted.” 7 Jan 2012. Web.
Stossel, John. “Guns save lives,”. Creators syndicate Inc. 27 Feb 2008. Web. RealClearPolitics.com.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Some people believe that extremely tight gun control laws will eliminate crime, but gun control laws only prevent the 'good guys' from obtaining firearms. Criminals will always have ways of getting weapons, whether it be from the black market, cross borders, or illegal street sales. New gun control laws will not stop them. Since the shootings of Columbine High School, Virginia Tech, and Sandy Hook, the frequency of mass shootings has increased greatly. Gun control is not effective as it has not been shown to actually reduce the number of gun-related crimes.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
2312 words (6.6 pages)
- Gun control laws aim to restrict or regulate firearms by selecting who can sell, buy and possess certain guns. Criminals do not obey laws and stricter gun control laws or banning guns will have little effect on reducing crimes. There are many myths about gun control reducing acts of gun violence, which are simply not true according to research. People are responsible for the crimes, not the guns themselves. Taking guns away from United States citizens that use them for many reasons, shooting practice, competition, hunting and self-defense, should not be punished for the acts of criminals.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
1327 words (3.8 pages)
- From the beginning of our nation up to today, we as a country have debated some of the most trying topics known to man. One topic that continues to make its way into our everyday lives is the epic “Gun Rights vs. Gun Control” argument. Opinions on both sides range from moderate to extreme, and some have even attempted extreme measures to get their points across. No matter what side of the argument you fall on, chances are, at some point, you can see the other point of view. It is this that causes such great dilemmas when attempting to put to rest one of the greatest debates in American history.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
1128 words (3.2 pages)
- America has the highest amount of gun related deaths each year in the world. “In Germany 381, in France 255, in Canada 165 in the United Kingdom 68, in Australia 65, in Japan 39 and in the United States, 11,127” (Moore Michael, 51:15-51:48). Since the United States has the highest number of deaths, it is important to have gun-control laws that restrict people from owning dangerous firearms like machine guns. Gun-control laws should support both sides of the debate. Of course, both sides will not be completely happy with the laws created, but America should have a balance.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
1129 words (3.2 pages)
- Guns have been the weapon of choice for some of the most brutal massacres on America soil. Since early history guns have been used mainly for militia and defense purposes. But, the development of new gun technology has made firearms more accessible and deadly. Although the second amendment gives the right to bear arms, guns should be controlled and monitored by the government because guns have contributed to a lot of killings in America and will increase crime rates. Gun control can be defined as “the use of law to limit people's access to handguns, shotguns, rifles, and other firearms” ("Gun Control").... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
900 words (2.6 pages)
- In Louisiana, gun ownership is one of the most valued rights because many see it as the only means for self-defense. Though it is a right, if crime rate increases due to gun violence, should self-defense hamper with the enforcement of gun-control laws. Currently, gun related crime is at “18.9 [...] deaths for every 100,000 people [...]” (“States With The Most Gun Violence: 24/7 Wall St.”). This statistic places Louisiana in one of the top spots for gun related crime, thus reminding us that gun-control is necessary.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
1263 words (3.6 pages)
- Gun crime in America has become a big issue. We are barraged by news outlets with story after story showing the wide use of guns in horrific and tragic crimes. These crimes all too often end in single if not multiple deaths. Politicians and law makers are constantly trying to find ways to reduce these crimes and keep the public safe. Unfortunately their ideas or methods involve some measure meant at reducing or eliminating the public’s access to guns. This method only infringes on the basic and most significant of all American rights, the right to keep and bear arms, as defined in the second amendment.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
1750 words (5 pages)
- Strict gun control laws that ban guns/ make them difficult to obtain for law abiding citizens in New York City are not the solution to the problem of violent gun crime. Gun rights and gun control have long been the topics of popular debate here in US. Strict gun control laws that ban guns/ make them difficult to obtain for law abiding citizens in New York City are not the solution to the problem of violent gun crime. These laws do more harm than good by infringing the rights of and criminalizing law abiding citizens.... [tags: abiding citizens, violent gun crimes]
1502 words (4.3 pages)
- “I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it”. -- Clint Eastwood This nation was built on the right to bear arms, but this freedom is more controversial than ever. With all the school shootings and gun violence in America today at some point it may seem that just too take away all guns may be the answer to this problem. In defense, this is not the answer. If someone wants to commit a crime, gun laws will not stop them from obtaining the weapon.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
1686 words (4.8 pages)
- Gun Control Laws Can we, “carefully controlling guns,” how many shootings at schools or malls will it take before we understand that people who intend to kill are not deterred by gun laws(Stossel). Guns do not kill, people with the wrong mindset kill. There should not be any gun control laws, because criminals can get a gun no matter the law “money talks”; many of the gun massacres happen in gun-free zones; and when was the last time you saw a story on the national evening news about a citizen saving lives with a gun.... [tags: gun-freeze-zones, background checks]
957 words (2.7 pages)