The basis of creationism is founded on anemic grounds, with a lack of data to support the claim that the earth is only 6,000 years old. The assertion of a young Earth arises from an Archbishop who tracked the genealogy of biblical characters back to Adam and Eve. According to the genealogy in the bible the Earth came to be in 4004 BC(Ussher, Annals). Unfortunately, The Bible or the authority of a religious figure is not evidence to support a scientific theory. The belief in a young Earth created by a religious deity is based upon faith that The Bible is true but for creation to be a viable model of science it must follow the same line of rigorous skepticism and experimenting permitted by the Scientific Method(Dunbar, Scientific Method).
Creationists want the same respect in the scientific community as any other reputable science but that is hard when their “science” contradicts the evidence. In Fulufjället, Sweden, there lives to this day a spruce tree that is 9,550 years old(Owen, National Geographic). This tree is over 3500 years older than creation science claims the earth is. Surmount evidence proves the age of this tree but creationism lacks any evidence to support a you...
... middle of paper ...
...: Master Books, 2003)
Dunbar, Brian. "Scientific Method." NASA. NASA, 7 Feb. 2008. Web. 13 Apr. 2014.
Owen, James. "Oldest Living Tree Found in Sweden." National Geographic. National Geographic Society, 14 Apr. 2008. Web. 13 Apr. 2014.
Sellers, Casey. Personal Interview . 13 Apr 2014
Carbon-14 Dating: New Possibilities Science News, Vol. 111, No. 26 (Jun. 25, 1977), p. 405 Published by: Society for Science & the Public
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org.db08.linccweb.org/stable/3961980
"Evolution, Evidence of." World of Earth Science. Ed. K. Lee Lerner and Brenda Wilmoth Lerner. Vol. 1. Detroit: Gale, 2003. 209-210. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 13 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... - 1990 B.C., Abraham to the Exile 1990 B.C. - 1450 B.C., The Exile to the Monarchy 1450 B.C. - 1045 B.C., The Unified Monarchy 1045 B.C. - 930 B.C., Israel 930 B.C. - 725 B.C., Judah 725 B.C. - 590 B.C., Exile in Babylon 590 B.C. - 440 B.C., and The Intertestamental Period 440 B.C. - 6-4 B.C. . We say 2014, because that is the time that has elapsed since Jesus Christ was born (Congelliere). Evolution Theory argues that the timeline is shaped in this way: 3.8 billion years of simple cells (prokaryotes), 1 billion years of multicellular life, 500 million years of fish and proto-amphibians, 360 million years of amphibians, 200 million years of mammals, 65 million years since the non-avian d... [tags: comparing and contrasting, religion vs science]
1220 words (3.5 pages)
- Surveys show that fifty percent of adults in Turkey, forty percent in the USA and fifteen percent in the UK reject the theory of evolution and believe that life on Earth came into existence as described in the religious texts (Jones and Reiss, 2007; Miller; Scott and Okamoto, 2006; Lawes, 2009). President G. W. Bush commented as follow: Both sides ought to be taught properly...so people can understand what the debate is about....Part of education is to expose people to different schools of thoughts....You’re asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, and the answer is yes (Baker and Slevin, 2005).... [tags: Persuasive, Theory of Evolution]
1286 words (3.7 pages)
- Creationism vs. Evolution: How did it really happen. Ever since 1859 and the publication of On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin1, his first publication of his observations, much debate has come about concerning the issue of how life on earth came to be. Both the Creationists and Evolutionists believe in the "Big Bang" theory of creation of life; however, the mechanism for the development of new life provides the conflict. Evolutionists believe the cause of life on earth to be accidental, random atomic collisions (non-living matter), known as abiogenesis2.... [tags: Essays Papers]
1178 words (3.4 pages)
- ... Often times, a derogatory attitude accompanies the idea of Creationism. The belief in creation by an almighty being is not a supplemental belief attached only to the Bible; instead, creation is the definitive deduction of a clear reading and understanding of Genesis in its intended form - as a purely historical narrative. This historical narrative, given to humanity by a supreme being, is the basis and foundation upon which a biblical worldview is based. A myriad of interpretations of creationism conclude that an intelligent, all-knowing demiurge, not natural selection or natural influences, created the universe and all the life found within.... [tags: evolution, religious, creationism]
1098 words (3.1 pages)
- Evolution and Creationism are both fact and theory but the question is which one should be taught in schools. Only a few school distracts have approved the teaching of evolution because it has more senitific evidence than creationism to prove that it is true. According to a new Gallup poll, just 39% of Americans believe in evolution. The Gallup polls also show that those Americans with higher education believe in the theory of evolution as opposed to those with only high school diplomas. The polls found that 74% Americans with post-graduate degrees believe in evolution theory compared to 21% of Americans with only high school diplomas.... [tags: Darwin, Argument, Creationism, Argumentative]
689 words (2 pages)
- The Lord merely spoke,and the heavens were created. He breathed the word,and all the stars were born. He assigned the sea its boundaries and locked the oceans in vast reservoirs. Let the whole world fear the Lord, and let everyone stand in awe of him. For when he spoke, the world began. It appeared at his command. - Psalm 33: 6-9” (Holy Bible: New Living Translation) Many scientists today believe that there are no rational grounds for supporting creationism (intelligent design) and that there is no evidence to support its claims.... [tags: creationism, the origin of life an dthe world]
2025 words (5.8 pages)
- Evolution of Darwin and christianity These days , a number of the view that the theory of evolution as formulated by Charles Darwin is not against religion . There also was not convinced that the theory of evolution but still also contribute in teaching and redistribute it . This would not have happened if they really understand the theory. This is due to the inability to understand the dogma of Darwinism , including the views of the most dangerous of these theories are indoctrinated to the society .... [tags: theological concerns, creationism]
1317 words (3.8 pages)
- Creationism being taught in public schools is not right because there are many beliefs about how the earth was created. Many science teachers have different beliefs on this particular subject. Some believe it should not be taught in public schools but on one’s own time at home, church, or another place. Other science teachers think students should be taught all the believable theories about evolution and creationism. Some science teachers have gotten in trouble with the law by not obeying other laws regarding evolution and creationism.... [tags: Creationism ]
709 words (2 pages)
- Individuals believe in creation, some in evolution, and some are undecided (Morris Henry). Some argue whether or not evolution and creationism should be taught in schools. Others feel as though creation is not a valid enough idea to actually be taught to the youth of our generation. There have been many debates and controversy going on for many years about this subject. That is because people feel strongly about this topic and their beliefs. Surveys, articles, case studies and a vast amount of other sources state that a large amount of people all over the world want both evolution and creationism to be taught in school due to the fact that both attempt to explain the origins of the universe... [tags: Evolution vs Creationism]
1452 words (4.1 pages)
- Weinberg's A Designer Universe The phenomenon of the creation of the universe has baffled many for some time. The question of whether or not a designer/God put together this most intricate world in a personal quest or project leaves many in great debate. Was life brought about by some evolutionary feat. Or, in opposition, did an intelligent being create life with perfection in mind. Both questions can be answered in many different ways. Steven Weinberg, writer of A Designer Universe, offers his thoughts, through abduction, regarding the likelihood of a designer creating the universe.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Creationism Essays]
941 words (2.7 pages)